Safely Remove Mercury
Posted by Seattle Dental Care Feb 08, 2023
Who are at risk of Mercury Toxicity?
In 2020, FDA has issued a recommendation for high mercury-containing dental fillings. The following groups are at a greater risk for potential harmful effects from mercury fillings.
- Pregnant women, their fetuses, and women who are planning to become pregnant
- Nursing women and their newborns and infants
- Young patients especially those younger than 6
- Patients with pre-existing neurological disease
- Patients with impaired kidney function
- Patients who are allergic to mercury or other components of the dental amalgam.
At Seattle Dental Care, we use the SMART protocol to safely remove mercury-containing fillings.
How do we remove amalgam fillings?
When removing the toxic amalgam or mercury fillings, a strict protocol will be followed to protect both patients and staff.
- Patients will be given Chlorella to before and after the mercury removal to ensure we protect the digestive system.
- A high-volume evaluation system will be used to filter small mercury particles in the air
- Patients' hair, clothes, and eyes will be protected using a disposable gown, disposable hair wrap, and glasses.
- Patients will be provided with an external oxygen source so they do not breathe in the mercury particles in the air.
- A dental dam will be utilized to ensure the patients do not ingest any of the mercury particles in their mouths.
- Mercury will be removed in large chunks.
Please contact our office if you have any questions or concerns related to safe amalgam removal.
At Seattle Dental Care, our biological dentist ensures to provide each of our patients with a positive and relaxing experience. If you have any questions about mercury removal, alternative dentistry, or integrative dentistry, please contact the Biological Dentist Seattle at (206) 728-1330 or visit us at 2107 Elliott Ave Ste 210, Seattle, WA 98121. We will be happy to guide you further.