MCS is an abbreviation for multiple chemical sensitivities. This is an increasing condition that I have known about for years and we are accustomed to providing care according to the often varied needs of patients who have MCS. Unfortunately, this is not something all health care providers pay attention to. A patient who has MCS came in this past week for an appointment and she told me about a visit to a physician she had not been to before. She brought a pamphlet about MCS to her appointment to give the new doctor so he would understand her condition. She said he would not acknowledge her condition. She said after she left the office they called her and asked her to come and get the pamphlet as they did not want it in their office. My experience is that when a patient tells me they are sensitive to something, I need to listen. We do not diagnose MCS or mercury toxicity in the dental office. That is for physicians to figure out. However, we take many steps to avoid aggravating the wellbeing of our patients. Many people have told us they are sensitive to fragrances and other substances. We avoid using fragrances for this reason. Our team members do not wear perfume in the office and we use air and water filters to purify the air and water in our office. Non latex gloves and rubber dams can be used. Ozone is used to kill bacteria without using potentially toxic chemicals. We use 100% ceramic and other biocompatible materials and techniques when we restore the teeth. There are ways to test dental materials prior to use. Every person is different, so if you have special considerations please let us know.